Saturday, July 24, 2010

Chasing A Dream

Since I was a young teen I had always wanted to be a SUPERMODEL! I've let the "Super" part go and now I just want to be a model. And.... maybe do a few commercials here and there. Ya know, if I'm lucky enough to get that opportunity. What better way to make money than doing something I've always loved and something that seems to be a pretty cool job.

When I was 18 I got pregnant with my son, who will be 9 in October, and needless to say, mommies dreams got put on hold. Between then and now, I have given birth to two children, acquired about 50 stretch marks, gotten married, moved to three different states, gained a good 40+ pounds, lost a good 40 pounds, and now here I am.


I live close to one of the biggest cities in the industry so just this week I decided, I'm gonna dive right in and see how long I can swim before getting spit out. Well, as it turns out, I was spit out pretty quickly.

(Quick note: Modeling has always been in the back of my mind and it's always been something I wanted to do. For a while, I was not satisifed with my size and I was probably even too large to be considered a 'Plus Size' model in the industry. Even though I think their idea of plus size (a 10) is ridiculous, it is what it is. So I've been working really hard to get in shape not only for my disease and to make myself feel better, but I've also been doing it for the hopes of one day being in front of the camera.)

On Wednesday I went to an open call at Wilhelmina. I was so nervous the night before and for that entire day. I drove almost 2 hours to LA and made it to the office with 30 minutes to spare. I sat down, a man came out, he grabbed my photos along with two other girls, and took them to the back. Not even a minute later, he came back out and passed each set of photos back to us while simultaneously saying, "We'll pass".

I wasn't upset though. This is how the game works. It seemed to have made me even more determined than I was before. I came home, had my husband take some natural photos of me (the two above are a couple of them) and I sent them off to Ford. Ha!

I also started searching for all the modeling, talent and whatever else agency's in Los Angeles, San Diego and surrounding areas. I have contacted many people and a couple of days ago I even lined up an interview with a promotion company. Then today I got news of two more companies that are interested in me. One is for an independent film company in San Diego that wants me to come down and test shoot for a commercial and a catalog, the other one is also in San Diego and they are a modeling and talent agency that want to do a face-to-face interview.

Yay! and Whew! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. And it'll really suck if none of these opportunities follow through because now I've just aired everything to the world wide web. We shall see.

Sometimes, dreams do come true. Other times, you have to make them come true.

No comments: